The Vanuatu Government today signed the second contract for Whitegrass and Pekoa works with China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) and its joint venture partner, Northwest Civil Airport Construction Group.
Minister for Infrastructure and Public Utilities Jotham Napat signed on behalf of the Vanuatu Government, whilst Mr Liang Qing and Mr Chen Tianzhi represented the contractors.
Minister Napat reiterated the government’s commitment to the projects under the World Bank-funded Vanuatu Aviation Investment Project (VAIP).
“Today is another important signing which ends the procurement process for Lot 2, which concern Whitegrass and Pekoa airports upgrading works, under the World Bank’s strict guidelines.
“The contractors are to work with Airports Vanuatu Ltd and Air Vanuatu to map out operational windows for construction works, to avoid disruption of normal airline services.
“The Government would like to stress this project is of paramount importance and its completion is our utmost priority,” said Napat
General Manager of CCECC Yang Song, speaking on behalf of the contractors, expressed the contractors’ gratitude for the government’s show of trust and confidence. The joint venture group is already preparing to meet the 240-day project timeframe.
“As we speak, mobilisation is underway. This includes site survey, construction camp negotiation, material procurement and personnel and machinery deployment,” said Mr Yang.
“We believe these upgrading works will be a catalyst for tremendous growth in the tourism sector in Vanuatu.”
While Bauerfield is the main gateway, it is important to note that approximately 88,000 passengers enter Pekoa and 43,000 utilise Whitegrass annually.
NOTE TO EDITORS:
VAIP Lot 1 works include:
• Modifications to cater for Code E aircraft operations
• Reconstruction of the main runway and taxiway
• Reconstruction of existing aprons
• Widening and extension works
• Construction of new stub taxiways and holding bays
• Geometric improvements to airport infrastructures (layout and turning nodes for smoother
VAIP Lot 2 includes:
• Design and resurfacing of the main runway at Pekoa
• Improvements to taxiway and shoulders at Pekoa airport
• Design and surfacing of the main runway at Whitegrass
• Improvements to taxiway and shoulders at Whitegrass
Ends/… 29 May 2017
For all media enquiries, please contact: 33240 or mobile: 7753927